Sunday, November 27, 2011

Stargazing


Photo: Courtesy of Ben Canales

     Experiencing the world turning round while watching a whole lot of stars spinning around the sky has been one of the things in my bucket list lately.


     Yesterday, my aunt invited us to their wedding anniversary party to celebrate with them. It was held at the same venue of their wedding where I happen to be one of their lucky groom's men. But upon seeing the place filled with bunch of people doing their thing, I immediately realized that the chances of going to those corners with nice angles for my photograph collections would be pretty limited. It's kinda awkward to take pictures when you're just using a 2 megapixel camera for photography nowadays, but I don't really give a damn about it.

     The next thing I knew was, I was already seating in one of the tables reserved for my aunt and uncle. Right there I began to feel a bit tedious and thought of something to break the ice. My brother and I went swimming in the pool. After more than a year of not being in a pool, I felt swimming there was the only thing I missed the most. Who wouldn't miss the feeling of drifting through the water and paddling up from one corner of the pool to the other?

     I hanged around for hours under the water without thinking that time has been passing by that fast and as I continuously did several strokes to wander from one place to the other, I begun to think of a brilliant idea. I naughtily planned to get a kid's swimming laps and, PRESTO! I was successful (trained to be a good NINJA)! I went to a corner where I can gaze at the stars with fewer disturbances since some kids were noisily enjoying the fun of being in a pool.

     Then my eyes started to scrutinize the sky. I was acting like an innocent little kid who didn’t seem to have any science astronomy class before. I started to wonder why Venus shines the most and even made myself believe that all the other stars in the sky that night were actually suns of every different solar system trillions of light years away from us.

     I was so comfortable looking at the sky while lying on top of a very calm and warm pool until the kid who happens to be the owner of the swimming lap that I got that afternoon popped out. Unfortunately, she wanted to have her lap back. It was terrible because I was really having the time of my life floating around the water while gazing at the sky but on the other hand, I really have to let go of that swimming lap and return it back to the owner.

     Good thing, after some few minutes passed by, I saw another one sailing around and automatically grabbed the chance to go back and continue having the time of my life. Then suddenly, I began to reflect on a lot of things in life. The conveniences that you may be enjoying right now could possibly disappear anytime, and so as the people who makes you feel comfortable and safe when you're with them.

     No one actually promised that one's life is always gonna be better nor will it be at its worst all the time. But it doesn't mean it won't really happen. The thing is, in the real world, good things don’t just come on your path the way you think they would, or else you'd be so naive to think that way. Sometimes, you have to chase them so hard for them to come to you all by themselves. Perhaps, they just wanna see how sincere you really are and what you're capable of doing to reach them.

     In life, you'll eventually lose some, but it never really means that you can never have it again, or something similar to what you just lost, or even gain something greater. But what's really great is, life is not just about keeping, losing or regaining some, but there's also a thing called winning some.

No comments:

Post a Comment