Sunday, January 15, 2012

2011: 18 and Independent




          They say that there’s always a point in our life where one learns a new set of things and perhaps gain a whole new set of responsibilities as well. Eventually as we grow old, many things happen. There are some that we would love to and some that we didn’t even dream of. 


          2011 was indeed a very good year for me. I mean every year was because if it wasn’t, I would not be able to write this anymore. Honestly speaking, it was a year of hardships and difficulties for me, rather than a convenient and smooth one but it doesn’t mean that I haven’t been happy on 2011 though.  I greatly believe that happiness is a choice.

          On the beginning of 2011, I was tremendously happy because celebrating New Year with my family is the least thing that I would miss during the holiday season. It’s been like more of a family tradition and I guess everyone does have it in their homes, too. After the special celebration, I was really planning to go back to the city where I applied for a certain job. It’s actually a telemarketing position at a certain call center company.

          Fortunately, I was accepted and was bound to have the few weeks training then, poof! I was hired. Indeed, working in a call center was quite great. And when I say great, I meant that it was fun meeting and making new friends there who are also telemarketers with different personalities and backgrounds. Luckily, I made it to get along with all the people in my work place except for one, our beastly and self-conceited supervisor.

          I tried my best to deal with her but I guess I just can’t be synthetic enough of what I really feel and think of her. If I did go along with all my angers for her, I think we would be in trouble every day, like literally. Good Lord! I don’t usually stoop down to other’s level and good thing it didn’t hinder me to be happy and enjoy my life being a young adult who tries to live his life like a man who’s earning for a living to compensate everything in his life’s needs.

          I guess if I’ll sum up everything that I’ve been through and experienced in that line of job, I may say that I have had one of the greatest things that a common 18 year old teenager could never have. It was great working with those pals that I have made while working as a telemarketer. Friendship must be really one of those great things that I’ve got there. Few months passed and I kept on searching for a much better opportunity though it’s not that I don’t like my job but for an ambitious guy like me who would like to earn much to help not only himself but also his family, I needed a much prettier compensation than this one.

          Me and my friends kept looking for a job and hundreds of various opinions came up until this one great idea arrived. It’s online English teaching or what the world knows as “ESL Teaching”. It has been trending big time not just here in the Philippines but also abroad. So we tried and applied to quite some few companies available around the city. Then we luckily made it to this one which seemed to be pretty tough to their applicants. I must admit that their admission system was very systematic and hard.

          Together, me and my friends did all the things in the list just to get in but unfortunately, only I made it to the next level. I had some interviews, trainings, and interviews again then trainings and at the end of the day, I made it to fill in one of the slots as an online ESL Teacher of that company which is based in Shanghai, China. We’ve got a foreign employer and they were amazing. Adjustments have always been there since both jobs (the previous one and the ESL teaching) are way different from one another. 

          Everything seemed to be quite comfortable for me and my family, in my opinion at least. I was able to raise the rest of my siblings living with me. Although I worked for like 12-13 hours a day, I never forget to loosen up and relax for some time. I am also sending some amount to my parents sometimes and even provided some things for my brother’s school fees and thanks giving for his high school graduation. I was even able to send him to a university, as well. Most weekends, we never fail to go out and bump around the city probably to have dinner or go to the movies. It was pretty comfortable, really.

          I’ve been an Online ESL Teacher for almost six months and then lost the job simply because the contract already ended. And the sad thing was, the employer doesn’t want to renew it. Though I don’t know the reason why but the only option that I’ve got was to evacuate the workplace and perhaps find a new job. I was very thankful for the temporary convenience in my life and was somehow able to forget the bitter things that happened to me the previous year for dropping out from my previous university.

          Though I really wanted to go back to school and continue my previous study or perhaps take a new one, I decided not to and chose to take the responsibility of sending my younger brothers to university as much as I could. 2011 was also indeed a year full of realizations for me. I thought deeply of the things around me and decided to take participation instead of just watching around.

          Many months passed and I was still waiting for the next break that the fate had for me. Fortunately, it arrived after my 19th birthday. It was pretty great since I’ve been waiting for that certain prerogative to arrive. Then once again, I went back on track of online ESL Teaching and the business is fortunately doing well until now. Somehow I felt like I was able to get back my lost dignity and what I so called Market Value of myself.

          2011 have taught me a lot of lessons and philosophies in life without being present in a school classroom and even listening to a philosophy teacher. Haha.. The thing is, a greater part of education takes place outside the school classroom than inside. I must admit that 2011 have broken me but while I’m on way to my life’s adventure, I have somehow recollected those shattered pieces that I have lost. My life have been pretty difficult but i do believe to what they say, “It’s gotta be worse before it gets better.”

          Though 2011 was full of hardships and hard works for me and were not merely able to do the real things that a normal 18 year old kid is doing, I never regret any of my decisions. Instead, I’ll continue to live my dreams; my dreams for my family and myself. After all, the real happiness is not just merely doing nor achieving the things that you want in life. It’s also about finding happiness and appreciating what you are currently doing and standing firmly of what you have decided and chosen in life regardless of whatever reason you may have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment